5 Frequently Asked Questions in Personal Injury Cases

1.     How do I pay my lawyer?

Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, also referred to as “no fee unless you win.” In other words, you will not have to pay an attorney fee unless you get money damages for your lawsuit.

2.    How long do I have to report an accident in NH?

According to New Hampshire Revised Statutes section 264:25, the driver of a vehicle that is involved in a traffic accident must report the crash — in writing to the Division of Motor Vehicles, within 15 days — if any person was injured or killed, or if there was property damage in excess of $1,000.

3.     What is my case worth?

The value of your case depends on the extent of your injuries. Damages in your claim can include medical bills and future medical bills, lost wages and future lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of spousal support. You must gather all necessary documentation, including medical bills, medical records, and lost wage documentation, to adequately value your case.

4.     Will my case go to trial?

There are advantages of settlement your case out of court.  Most cases, over 95% of cases are settled before trial. Cases often settle before filing a lawsuit or at mediation before trial.  However, we always prepare your case to go to trial in the event we do not get a fair settlement offer.

5.     How long will it take to settle my case?

First, you need to completely recover from your injuries, or you need to reach maximum medical improvement (MMI).  MMI means that while you may need additional treatment, recovery is as good as it is going to get.

All supporting documentation needs to be obtained, such as:

  • Medical and mental healthcare records and bills.
  • Wage records and proof of income, along with expert reports for future lost wages.
  • Vehicle or property damage estimates and proof of value.

The length of each personal injury claim varies. No timetable fits all cases.  Some cases get settled within a few months, while others take a couple of years, especially if it goes to trial. 

Please do not hesitate to contact our office (603) 647-2600 if you or someone you know needs assistance.  We concentrate on personal injury and workers’ compensation claims. Always a free consultation!  

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *